|Where in the world?|
For ten years, from 1980 until 1990 (and possibly a little beyond), our family had an in-depth inter-cultural experience that really helped to make us who we are today. We hosted ~70 people from 13 different countries (noted above) from anywhere from overnight (a guy from Morocco) to 3 years (Vince, from Malaysia). Ned spent a year in Rio de Janeiro with our Brasilian son, Eduardo; Tom visits Brasil, not only Eduardo but also Nelson in Sao Paulo; and Jeri took a tour across Europe, staying with Jane in England, and visiting several of our European foreign guests. Walt and I never dreamed we'd actually be able to visit some of the countries of the guests who visited us.
But now that the kids are grown, we have discovered a love of travel (and, with no kids in college any more, a little extra money to be able to do it). We have been to several interesting places.
In the United States...
- Napa Valley , May 7, 2000 (wine tasting weekend)
- Washington, DC, 2000, April 30, 2000 (Millennium March on Washington)
- My Cinderella Weekend, November 1999
- New England, October 1999
- Denver, July 1999 (seeing a production of The Last Session)
- Texas 1999 again, July 1999 (Houston, Kemah, Galveston)
- Ohio again, June 1999 (seing Jeri's production of Jesus Christ Superstar)
- Texas 1999, April 1999 (Houston, Austin, San Antonio)
- Washington, D.C., 1998 (gathering of CompuServe friends)
- Hawaii, November 1997 (with our Brasilian Friends)
- Houston, TX, December 1997 (visiting Mike and Bill Brunson-Kelley)
- Ohio, Summer 1997 (seeing She Loves Me by Weathervane Playhouse)
- Seattle, WA, July 1997 (weekend with CompuServe friends)
- Washington, D.C., June 1997 (Smithsonian Award for Georgia Griffith)
- San Diego, CA, February, 1997 (gathering of CompuServe friends)
- Boulder, CO, June, 1996 (gathering of CompuServe friends)
- Washington, D.C., 1996 (Volunteer for the AIDS quilt display on the Capitol Mall)
...and out of it...
- Buxton (2nd Annual Gilbert & Sullivan Festival) [this page is a little photo-intensive]
- Other parts of England
- The West Side
- Southern Ireland (Waterford, Cork, Kilarney, Kerry, etc.)
- Western Australia (2003)
- France/Italy (2009)
- Russia (2010)
- China (2011)
Wherever we go, London often seems to enter into the itinerary. Walt is a master of getting around by "tube"
home - bio info - kids - diary - travel - "Martha Stewart" - oitsu